INSTITUTE OF ENTREPRENEURSHIP DEVELOPMENT STUDIES
JUSTIFICATION FOR THE INSTITUTE OF ENTREPRENEURSHIP DEVELOPMENT STUDIES
The Institute for Entrepreneurship Development Studies (IEDS), formerly known as Centre for Entrepreneurship Development (CED) was established as a research and training unit in small business development, by way of setting the right mindset for students and assisting them to develop such opportunities. Today it has grown to become an Institute of Excellence, focusing on Entrepreneurship, Financial education, Re-skilling of Artisan, Socio-economic Research, youth and women empowerment, teenage entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurial Revolution; and the specifics such as how to prepare a business plan; How to become a successful entrepreneur; and how to fund a successful enterprise.
To be the foremost Institute in Entrepreneurship in Africa.
Generating empowered citizenry through entrepreneurship.
WHAT WE DO:
• Entrepreneurship/Business Development
• Entrepreneurship Education
• Financial Education
• Business Support Services
• Opportunity Hub
WHY PEOPLE PREFER US:
• Excellent mindset and services .
• Research-based instructions.
• State-of-the-art facilities.
• Learners’ friendly environment.
• Technically skillful workforce that motivate and inspire, instead of telling, or explaining or just merely demonstrating.
UNIDO, NIPC, RMRDC, RMARD, FMST, NERC, Bank of Industry, Bank of Agriculture, FMWR, NDE, FIRST BANK, CBN, and so on.
IEDS has over twenty international trained technical and management acclaimed experts. It also has access to a pool of highly qualified associates from cognate disciplines in the University. These disciplines include: Accounting, Computer Science; Mechanical, Chemical, Electrical Engineering; Information and Communication Technology (ICT); Sociology; Geography; Statistics, Political Science; Agriculture; Vet. Medicine; Health Sciences; Arts; Education; Institute of Gender and Policy Studies; Institute for Peace and Conflict Resolution; Institute for Legislative Studies; and so on.
The short training progrmmes represent one way through which the university aims at brokering this relationship in line with the Economic Growth and Development Agenda of the Federal Government of Nigeria.
The Institute has an excellent reputation of assisting potential and existing entrepreneurs, entrepreneurship–government driven establishment and other institutions, to build their capacities for optimal performance. The institute has a pool of associate experts in various fields as approved by University Senate, drawn from a broad spectrum of specializations from within the University and its affiliated institutes and centres.
The current Nigerian governments have been consistent in advocating the need to diversify the revenue base of the nation by strengthening the real sector. While governments provide the macroeconomic enabling environment for industries to grow, the private sector operators must also seek for opportunities, put resources into such opportunities to earn income and satisfaction, in their global competitiveness in a knowledge-based and information-driven world.
A compendium of Entrepreneurship Development training programmes packaged by the institute, the institute is offering its expertise to help build the capacities of the major stakeholders of industries in Nigeria.
IEDS hope to partner with government agencies, academic institutions, financial institutions, non governmental organizations/cooperatives, and industrialists to promote business creation and support the accelerated growth of existing business through its need-based capacity building programmes, designed for different categories of individuals.
The institute, in the tradition of excellence that University of Abuja is known for, as the centre of excellence, has the state-of –the-art facilities as well as human resources to mount any of the training programmes within two weeks of notification, off the usual timetable. Also any of these programmes can be packaged for delivery at any convenient location of your choice (local and international).
University of Abuja, the closest federal university to the seat of power in Nigeria and indeed Africa, remains one of the most serene in Nigeria for learning at all levels and remains the only university with the dual purpose of running both the conventional and distance learning programmes by law.
1.0 Entrepreneurship SHORT-TERM TRAINING PROGRAMMES
Duration: 3 months
Entrepreneurship training for self-employment training programme has been designed to develop the capacity of participants to take up as need be, profitable and sustainable business ventures as alternative career options as a panacea to the problem of acute unemployment in the formal sector.
• Business starting techniques.
• Business plan preparation.
• Staffing and personnel management.
• Market-driven production for profit.
• Ethics and customer relationship management.
• Participants will go through two weeks of intensive training in specific vocations.
• Participants will undergo one week of attachment in a business enterprise that is related to their vocational choices.
• Participants will be introduced to business support organizations that will be of advantage to their business.
• Participants will be introduced to notable financial institutions with micro and small business financial support scheme.
• Participants will be awarded with the Institute’s certificate or Diploma, or PGDE or M.Entr as the case may be, on completion of the training.
• The course would involve pratical Entrepreneurship study tour within or to a neigbouring country.
Some of the available vocations include:
Fashion designing and production, Fish production and pond management, Biogas technology, Honey production, Bead making/wire works, Poultry management, Moringa production and marketing, Beautification technology and management, Horticulture and landscaping, Event decoration, Events and catering management, Soap and detergent production, Piggery, Snail production, Grasscutter production, Stage performing/Theatre Art, Computer and handset repair, Barbing and stylistics, Clay Ports designing and production, Garden egg production
Note: Eye-opening study tours provide a first-hand look at Nigeria’s achievements: technological incubators, government agencies, relevant NGOs and small business. Knowledgeable tour guides escort participants to the many historical sites of Nigeria on weekends.
• Young school leavers
• Unemployed graduates
• National Youth Services Corp members
• Potential trainers and existing trainers with gaps
• Retirees and potential retirees
Course Fee: N100,000 only, covering training materials, tuition fees, but you are to cater for your accommodation, feeding, transport fares from and to the campus.
Or US$1000 for non-Nigerians.
A formal professional certificate will be awarded at the end of the training programme to each participant.
2.0 Entrepreneurship Education Delivery Training Workshop
Duration: 4 days
As directed by the Federal Government through the National Universities Commission (NUC), most of the Universities in Nigeria have introduced Entrepreneurship Education into their academic programmes. This is because of the general belief that the solution to the current graduate unemployment issue and national economic and social instability lies in developing entrepreneurship culture among youths, especially undergraduates. With this background, Entrepreneurship Education Delivery workshop was designed to help participants gain the required skills to teach entrepreneurship education to various categories of people including students. The workshop is meant to introduce participants to best practices and approaches to entrepreneurship education in tertiary institutions, as participants have limited knowledge of entrepreneurship. A participatory approach will, therefore, be adopted in the running of the programme.
• Entrepreneurship education in the Nigerian or African content.
• Personal entrepreneurship characteristics.
• The portrait of an entrepreneurship educator.
• Developing an entrepreneurship education curriculum.
• Creating appropriate teaching-learning experience in entrepreneurship education programme.
• Steps in self-employment.
• Steps in launching a small business.
• Business support institutions in Nigeria.
• Entrepreneurship educators/teachers.
• Youth workers who want to introduce youth to entrepreneurship.
• Directors/managers of entrepreneurship training institutions.
• Persons involved in designing entrepreneurship education curriculum.
Workshop Fee: N100,000 only to cover workshop materials, tea break and launch or US$ 1000 for non-Nigerians.
3.0 Campus-based Entrepreneurship Development Training Workshop
Duration: 3 days
Campus-based Entrepreneurship Development Workshop is a hand-on capacity building programme for teachers planning to start or already running a school-based entrepreneurship programme. The workshop is meant to expose participants to practical ways of setting up and operating an entrepreneurship programme that is productive and economically sustainable.
• Entrepreneurship education teachers.
• Personnel of NGOs undertaking enterprise developing programmes.
• Other interested individuals
Course Fee: N75,000 only to cover training materials, tea break and launch.
Or US$750 for non Nigerians
4.0 Long Vacation-On-Campus Entrepreneurship Development Training Programme
Duration: 10 days long intensive residential course including one week training tour in USA or Israel.
Long vacation-on-campus Entrepreneurship Development Programme was designed to raise and nurture future entrepreneurs. It offers learning that can assist young people acquire skills required to free them from existing cultural patterns and social structure that has destroyed the innovative ability and creativity of the people. It is meant to orientate participants towards innovation and capacity to produce change in themselves and their environment and to seek self-reliance.
• Preparing the next generation of Entrepreneurship
• Enhancing creativity and innovativeness
• Nurturing entrepreneurial spirit
• Discovering and unleashing innate capabilities
• International standard curriculum
• A week entrepreneurship foreign tour/training in a notable entrepreneurship centre abroad (USA, Israel, etc)
• Self-motivated and intelligent middle school students
$4,500 only to cover tuition, accommodation, travels and resource materials. These will be 2% discount for organizations sponsoring more than three persons; and for early notification and payment.
5.0 Entrepreneurship Master Trainers Professional Certification Course
Duration: 10 days of intensive residential course, including one week of training tour of USA or Israel.
The development of entrepreneurship educators, trainers, coaches, mentors and advisers is lagging behind the growth of entrepreneurship programming in Nigeria. Consequently, while there are many entrepreneurship education programme, these are limited instructors with requisite capacity to design and deliver effective entrepreneurship education instructions. This is critical as entrepreneurship is now the engine to grow any economy. Entrepreneurship master trainers capacity building programme is meant to develop the Entrepreneurial resourcefulness of participants and equip them with the needed skills to raise these categories of teachers, mentors and advisers. Together with other international participants, participants will engage in lectures and study tour/training designed to grant the tools to lead such organizations.
At the end of the programme, participants would have learnt:
• the basic principles and practice of entrepreneurship;
• how to design and implement a locally adaptable entrepreneurship programme of an international standard; and
• effective ways of raising entrepreneurship educators, mentors and coaches through educational programmes.
• One week of entrepreneurship training tour and intensive entrepreneurship coaching training in reputable institutions in the USA or Israel.
• Internationally recognized entrepreneurial coaching certification.
• Eye-opening study tours to incubators, government agencies, NGOs, small businesses, etc.
• Self-motivated Entrepreneurship educators, trainers with experience.
• Business development counselors and coaches.
• Decision-makers in local and national governments, CEOs of SMEs, economic development corporations and institutes, banking sector.
There will be 2% discount for organizations sponsoring more than three persons; and for early notification and payment.
Note: The above curriculum and study tour outline is intended as a guide only.